No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN initiates process to bring Libya human rights abusers to justice

byMichel Cousins
March 25, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UN initiates process to bring Libya human rights abusers to justice

By Libya Herald reporter.

17522959_1105726206199125_7523769112725020922_n
Demonstrators in Tripoli’s Martyrs’ Square protest today over alleged LNA summary executions in Benghazi (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 24 March 2017:

The UN Human Rights Council today told the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights to gather information on human rights abuses in Libya so as to be able to initiate proceedings against those responsible.

It called on High Commissioner Zeid Ra’ad Al-Hussein “to establish the facts and circumstances of such abuses and violations with a view to avoiding impunity and ensuring full individual accountability”. He is to be given “all the resources necessary” to ensure “individual accountability and prevent further human rights abuses”, the council decided.

The decision to increase its focus on human rights crimes in Libya coincides with the release of two videos purporting to show members of the Libyan National Army summarily executing prisoners captured in Ganfouda when it finally fell a week ago. There have been other allegations of other war crimes committed not only by the LNA, but by the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council as well as by militiamen in the west of the country.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

Last year, Amnesty International said it believed the BRSC was guilty of such crimes by using captives as human shields.

UNSMIL has for some considerable time warned that those responsible for war crimes and human rights abuses in Libya faced possible criminal proceedings. High Commissioner Al-Hussein, too, has warned before of possible Libya war crimes proceedings. In December 2014, he said that the warring parties were under investigation by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for war crimes.

Nothing, though, resulted from this and the ICC itself has come under fire on several occasions from international human rights organisations for its perceived lack of willingness to take action on the issue. In January, Human Rights Watch sharply criticised the ICC for not launching new investigations into war crimes in Libya. The ICC’s answer has been that it does not have the resources.

It may be different this time, however. Today’s decision also follows tweets yesterday from UN special envoy Martin Kobler that the UN had raised alarms about human rights violations not only in Benghazi but also in the west of the country and that it was “following on them”.

Meanwhile, in Tripoli today, several hundred demonstrators took to the Martyrs Square to protest the summary executions in Benghazi and supposed war crimes allegedly committed by members of the LNA.

Tags: featuredLibyaMartin KoblerUN Human Rights CouncilUNSMILZeid Ra’ad Al-Hussein

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

NOC must have exclusive stewardship of Libya's oil say ambassadors

Rival peaceful protests in Misrata as pressure mounts on municipal council

Rival peaceful protests in Misrata as pressure mounts on municipal council

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.