No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Rada confirms detention of two IS militants following aborted Tripoli car bombings

bySami Zaptia
January 10, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Rada confirms detention of two IS militants following aborted Tripoli car bombings

A Tripoli bomb was defused by the Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).

By Jamie Prentis.

A Tripoli bomb was defused by the Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).
A Tripoli bomb was defused by the Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).

Tunis, 10 January 2018:

The Rada Special Deterrence Force has confirmed to Libya Herald that it had arrested suspected members of the so-called Islamic State (IS) after two failed car bomb attempts in Tripoli’s industrial district.

Spokesman Ahmed Ben Salem told this publication that the men had been wanted and had been tracked by Rada following the unsuccessful detonation attempts.

“The first time the first battery was not working. They changed it, but the bomb did not go off again either,” he said, explaining the reason for the failed detonations.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Aldabaiba vows to impose justice, law and order – puts militias on notice

The two men gave their names as Mohamed Abdullah Balah, born in 1997, and Siraj Khalifa Al-Jahawi, born in 1992, in an apparent confession video released by Rada.

Ben Salem said the men had arrived in Tripoli from the desert regions near to Sebha having taken their orders from there. It has often been claimed that remnants of IS inhabit the sparsely populated southern area.

 

The mobile phone battery did not work and failed to set off the bomb (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).
The mobile phone battery did not work and failed to set off the bomb (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).

 

Furthermore, Ben Salem said the accused men had previously fought alongside militants in Benghazi’s Sabri but fled when an offensive was launched on the district.

The bombs had been deactivated by the Busleem Deterence and Rapid Intervention Force.

Rada has often been at the forefront of attempts to clampdown on IS, but has also focused its efforts on drug dealers and criminality. It was Rada who arrested the brother and father of the Manchester bomber Salman Abedi in May.

But Rada has also come in for criticism for some of its arrests which are seen as no more than illegal detentions reflecting their personal Salafist interpretation of Islam. It was recently widely criticised for arresting the young organizers of the Comic Con event in Tripoli. Rada was forced to release all of them after it failed to persuade the Prosecutor General to bring any charges against them.

Tags: bombComic Convention Comic ConfeaturedIS/ISIS/DAESHRada SDF Special Deterrence ForceSalafist

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Serraj calls on UN chief to visit Libya

Serraj calls on UN chief to visit Libya

Dinghy sinks off Libya, 50 immigrants dead

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.