No Result
View All Result
Monday, December 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sewehli says it is time for Tawerghans to return home

byMichel Cousins
April 29, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sewehli says it is time for Tawerghans to return home

Sewehli and Shakshak

By Libya Herald reporter.

Sewehli and Shakshak
State Council President Abdulrahman Sewehli (left) and head of Tawergha local council Abdulrahman Shakshak (Photo: State Council)

Tunis, 27 April 2017:

State Council president Abdulrahman Sewehli has thrown his support behind the Misrata-Tawergha deal that could see as many as 40,000 Tawerghans return home after more than half a decade of displacement.

The deal was agreed at the end of August through UN-backed endeavours but little has come to fruition so far.

However, with the Tawerghans still living in often appalling conditions in camps across Libya, Sewehli has again raised the issue, also discussing with the Tawergha local council leader Abdulrahman Shakshak how greater support could be given to the displaced people. Basic services and an improvement in living conditions were the priority, he said.

RELATED POSTS

NOC organises workshop with Germany’s GTG to develop renewable energy projects in oil fields

REAoL and partners conduct field visit to 1 MW Tawergha solar project site

The two met in Tripoli.

How effective Sewehli’s intervention will be remains to be seen, however. This is not the first time he has promised help. Eleven months ago, he promised to improve living conditions and security for Tawerghan refugees in the camps, but nothing has come of it.

Unfulflled promises of help and an end to the Tawerghan’s exile and misery have come from other political figures as well. A number of municipalities have offered land to build homes for the exiles, but there is no money to do so. There have been a numer of meetings between the Tawerghan leadership and the the Beida-based interim government of Abdullah Thinni to discuss the necessary financial support, the most recent in February, but nothing has transpired.

Controversial cleric Sadek Al-Ghariani earlier this month also said that it was time that the Tawerghans be allowed to return home, although he added that those who had been involved in war crimes against Misrata should be handed over and put on trial.

During the 2011 revolution Tawerghan fighters supported Qaddafi and his offensive against Misrata. Their forces were accused of numerous war crimes including rape, torture and the mutilation of Misratan soldiers’ corpses.

The 40,000 have remained in exile since.

Tags: Abdulrahman SewehliLibyaTawergha

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Locals mourn landmark Benghazi building demolished in battle for Suq Al-Hout

Locals mourn landmark Benghazi building demolished in battle for Suq Al-Hout

Sirte mayor receives assurances from Gansu that PC will aid his town

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration

    Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.