HoR fails to approve 2021 budget – government to appear before it next Monday
By Sami Zaptia.
(Logo: Tobruk HoR).
London, 29 June 2021:
Parliament (the House of Representatives – HoR) failed to approve the 2021 budget during its session yesterday. In reality, there was no real desire to do so as soon as the Aldabaiba government said it was unable to attend the session due to the Prime Minister and several of his ministers being abroad on official trips.
Yesterday’s session was a closed session and so no live broadcast was available. However, HoR Official Spokesperson Abdalla Belheeg reported that the session discussed six points:
- It reviewed a letter received from the 5 + 5 Military Commission which requested the HoR not to approve the Defence Ministry’s budget until the government appoints a Defence Minister. The HoR will decide on this matter in Tuesday’s session.
- It emphasised the approval of the first chapter (state-sector salaries) of the 2021, provided that it includes the laws issued by the HoR to raise the salaries of a number of sectors and requested the Finance Committee to submit a proposal to approve the 2021 budget.
- Demanded the Legislative Committee to quickly complete the bill unifying salaries for all state workers and submit it to the HoR as soon as possible, as well as the local government law.
- Summoned the government to appear before the House at next Monday’s session (5 July) after the government apologized for not being able to make Tuesday’s session.
- Set a session to decide on Sovereign Positions, given that the High State Council did not respond to the HoR a month after it had referred the candidates’ files to it.
- Emphasized the importance of the work of the HoR’s permanent specialist committees and taking the necessary measures to activate their role and follow-up by the First and Second Deputy Speakers of the House.
HoR to hold session next Monday – government to appear before House on Tuesday | (libyaherald.com)
Government unable to attend today’s HoR session – but will present its 100 days report next week | (libyaherald.com)
HoR Tuesday session on 2021 budget to continue today as budget is redrafted and discussed with government | (libyaherald.com)
Yesterday’s HoR session on 2021 budget and Sovereign Positions suspended after argument between two members turns into fight | (libyaherald.com)
HoR to discuss 2021 budget and Sovereign Positions at next Monday 14 session | (libyaherald.com)
HSC insists on referendum on constitution prior to 24 December elections and Bouznika as basis for choosing Sovereign Positions | (libyaherald.com)
HoR and HSC heads Saleh and Mishri fail to meet in Morocco – increase speculation of failure to agree on Sovereign Positions | (libyaherald.com)
26 Tripoli HoR members reject Bouznika geographical distribution of sovereign positions | (libyaherald.com)
Supreme Judicial Council rejects Bouznika political interference in judicial appointments | (libyaherald.com)
HoR and HSC meeting at Morocco’s Bouznika agree criteria for choosing positions, form committees to accept nominations from tomorrow for one week | (libyaherald.com)
Libya’s Supreme Judicial Council rejects Morocco talks outcomes on political division of judicial appointments | (libyaherald.com)
Parliament to meet in Tobruk next Monday to debate amended 2021 budget and Sovereign Positions | (libyaherald.com)
After off camera deliberations, parliament failed to agree 2021 budget. Amended budget reduced to 76 bn – discussions to resume next session | (libyaherald.com)
Parliament only partially approves 2021 budget, calls Finance Minister for questioning, creates committee to study amended budget | (libyaherald.com)
Parliament discusses amended 2021 budget : Members raise numerous objections | (libyaherald.com)